WAXAHACHIE — A suspected that wielded a machete at neighbors was indicted by an Ellis County Grand Jury on Dec. 28. Midlothian resident Gerald Santiago, 48, was indicted on the charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

According to the indictment, Santiago allegedly caused bodily injury to Donald Radabaugh by cutting him using a knife during the commission of the assault that occurred Oct. 9, 2016.

The Northern Ellis County Emergency Dispatch Center received a call at 8:37 p.m. in the 100 block of Pebble Creek Dr. about a person running down the street with what appeared to be a machete.

"The caller stated that the subject was running up and down the street with what appeared to be a machete. Corporal Larry Barber and Officer Matthew Shipp responded to the call. Upon arrival, they were approached by two witnesses who stated that a gentleman known to them was high and acting crazy while wielding a machete," Midlothian Police Department Capt. John Spann said in an Oct. 10 Daily Light article. "The officers were informed that Santiago went into his residence on Pebble Creek Drive. The officers went to his residence and knocked on the door trying to make contact. While they were doing that, another witness came up and said Santiago just assaulted him at the back of the residence with a machete causing a laceration to the gentleman's upper torso."

Spann said the officers went to the back of the residence and observed Santiago running into a heavily wooded area that backs right up to Pebble Creek Drive. Officers then asked for and received assistance from DeSoto Police Department's K-9 unit and the Texas Department of Public Safety's helicopter.

Members of the Mansfield, Ovilla and Waxahachie Police Departments, along with the Ellis County Sheriff's Office, assisted in setting up a perimeter. Santiago was taken into custody at about 10:30 p.m. without incident.

"The Texas Department of Public Safety's Air One helicopter came out and assisted us in locating him. We had a DeSoto Canine tracker dog that picked up on his scent looking for the guy. They were cautious because he was last seen carrying a large machete," Spann said previously. "He gave up to officers without a fight. He was lying on the ground, and the helicopters could see him. The helicopter directed the officers to the area where he was and gave him directions to find him. He was lying down with arms on his head. They took him into custody and walked him out."

Spann said the resident who was injured was treated at the scene and refused transport to the hospital. Santiago was transported to Mansfield Medical Center to be checked out due to minor cuts and scratches he sustained from running into the woods. No officers were injured during the call.

After being checked out at the hospital, Santiago was taken to the Midlothian Police Department's jail. According to on online records, Santiago was then transferred to the Wayne McCollum Detention Center in Waxahachie and was booked in at 12:46 a.m. on Oct. 10.

According to jail records Santiago originally had a bond of $250,000 but was reduced to $150,000 on Dec. 12. Santiago remains in custody at the detention center as of 11 a.m. Friday.

— Follow Andrew on Facebook atwww.facebook.com/AndrewBrancaWDL or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/AndrewBrancaWNI. Contact him at andrew.branca@waxahachietx.com or 469-517-1451