The Midlothian City Council denied a request for a specific use permit for a new car wash at its Tuesday night meeting. The proposed development would have been built at the northeast corner of Farm-to-Market Road 663 and Hawkins Run Road.
City council member Joe Frizzell stated the council denied the development due to a possible negative impact on the area.
“There was the possibility of traffic congestion and difficulty getting in and out of the site,” Frizzell said. “Also, because of the size of the site, the council did not think there would be enough room when cars would back up.”
Frizzell added council discussed the location of the dumpster on the property and were concerned that it might be unsightly since it was close to the road.
The council approved a land swap with the Midlothian Independent School District. The school district is taking a portion of the land at the city’s sports complex to expand the football stadium at Frank Seale Middle School. In return, the city received property that is located south and adjacent to the sports complex. The sports complex is in the 1000 block of S. 14th Street in Midlothian.
In other business the council
• Approved a resolution providing for a June 16 runoff election to be held to elect a person to the Place 6 position on the city council.
• Approved an ordinance changing the zoning of lot two, block 29 in the original town City of Midlothian section six from general professional district to urban village development district 112 for single-family residential uses located at 115 S. Sixth Street.
• Approved an ordinance amending the development regulations of planned development district 98 by modifying the enhanced architectural elements located on the northeast corner of Walnut Grove and Farm-to-Market Road 1387.
• Approved an ordinance amending the city zoning ordinance relating to residential accessory building standards to include pergolas in backyard areas.
• Took no action to amend a section of the code ordinances on subdivision regulation to amend impact fees.
• Approved a request to allow for alternative parking lot material and driveway access onto Harvest Hill Drive for Harvest Hill Church located at 1250 Walter Stephenson Road.